Where are we ?
The Mayenne :
A dream land...
Between Normandy and Brittany, La Mayenne is the best place to trip around western France.
The Haute Mayenne, where Chailland is located, is in the very middle of the 2 regions, betwwen Mayenne and Laval.
Chailland is very well located:
15mn from Laval
30mn from Brittany
45mn from Rennes
1 hour from the sea - Mont St Michel
1 hour from Le Mans
2.5 hours from Paris (1.5 by TGV train)
Chailland is a very charming little town. Architecture makes that village a real original place.
Chailland is a village with all the facilities of a city (grocery, restaurant, post-office, crêperie...). As soon as you arrive here, you forget the other places.
Chailland is a meeting place for a lot of trekkers and hikers who come to discover tens of kilometers of trails.
"A steep lanscape surmounted by a mount for refuge; an energy generating river; a very rich wood forest. In fact, a real territory which lays out, since millenia, of all the assets to accomodate beings of characters.
The 11 Chailland's curiosities:
The neogothic Church
The church has been built by an architect named Hawke in 1892 in a pure XIIIth century style, on the site of a Romanesque church. The transept and the chorus are enlighted by high bays of the Master-glass-maker Alleaume. In frontage, the tower forms an open gantry with capped vault of a zenith oculus used for the passage of the bells.
Along the access path to the sandy rocks of the Virgin and Martyrdom, who take care the chestnut grove of Gigoulais, extends the communal Rosery. From May to October of innumerable species of pinks scent a serpentine alley and cling to the lattices of an arbour and a pergola.
Visit with the foot of the Rosery, the Terraces of the Presbytery with:
- The hut of tools of the gardener
- the greenhouse of the Lefaucheux Abbot with his vine
- the kitchen garden with vegetables of old varieties
- fences in chestnut
- the small cave of Doors
The Vault of Gigoulais
Vault founded in 1751, dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It was established on a strong ground slope and stone which bars L ' spur. One is unaware of the time and the function of this work. It is known, on the other hand, that the place was occupied during the Middle Ages (VIème - Xème century). With proximity, a small deposit of axes of the Bronze Age was found.
The Old House
Old house on square level. Closed for visitors now, with a profiled "piedroit".
The Sewing room
Building of 17th century raised on 2 cellars and served by a staircase with double flight. It would be about the house given into 1604 by the priest of the village " for a chaplain who will want to inform youth and to hold the escolles ". It sheltered, in 19th century, a school held by sisters and, then, a sewing room where the girls came to learn seam and embroidery.
The Small Laundrette
Close to this Laundrette with mobile floor a shelter rises which was used to make boil water. This one was versed on the linen laid out in a vat on a thick layer of ashes to dissolve chemical salts there. After casting, withdrawing consisted to soap with the laundrette the rebellious spots and to rinse them. To finish: drying with the beater, spreading on wire or grass.
The Laundrette of the Mill
Installed with the foot of one of the two old mills with corn of the borough, this large communal laundrette, before construction of the brick frontage which overhangs it, was covered with slate. Thanks to a system of winches, whose system of adjustment adopts the principle of the drawbridges, the vertical rise in the floor allowed the use of the laundrette in period of risings
The Tramway Station
This building and the post office's one, before rehabilitation, were used as station of 1901 to 1938 on the Laval-Landivy railway line; which crossed the borough while passing by the church. It was opened to the travellers, transport and goods and made possible to reach Laval, located at 29km, in 1 hour 45 and Pontmain, a pilgrimage place, in nearly 2 hours.
The Rustic Laundrette
This work, built in 1952, is remarkable for its roof shingling. Its single basin is supplied by a source and consists of a table to wash with height of support and slightly tilted.
It was, with the image of the other laundrettes of the village, one of the many places animated from where fused, between two blow of beater, the last news of the country
The House of Roquet of Villeneuve
House of the end of the Middle Ages where were held, on several occasions, run it of justice and bases of the stronghold of Villeneuve.
It is high on two cellars of appartment of which one is bored of a covered door of an arc.
The staircase was, initially, with only one rise. The slopes of the roof, with the stiff slopes, were formerly covered with shingles of chestnut, small bands nailed on battens, as in the majority of the houses of the borough
House built about the middle of XVIIIème century to the site of the feudal manor of Villeneuve.
Its character principal lies in its roof the Mansard, made up of a gable roof with four sides, thus releasing a volume of additional dwelling at lower cost